Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Places I've Been

I've been to a lot of places. I am streetwise. I am seaworthy. I have sailed the Bering Sea. I have sailed into Kodiak. I sailed the Gulf of Alaska on down to the inside Passage to Seattle. I have hit 30 foot swells more than once. I have seen the albatross. I have seen dolphins swimming alongside the boat for 2 days. I have been to Alaska over 30 different occasions. My travels in Alaska are extensive. I met one gentlemen at a cafe in Ketchikan Alaska. He was sitting next to me. He carried a pocket Constitution in his pocket, of which I enjoyed breakfast and remember him to this day. I have been to the place where Evel Knievel jumped the Snake River Canyon. The ramp is still there. I had to go to that place every two months, but would enjoy tranquility of that spot, but enjoyed partying my ass off in Boise more. Hawaii was known for its snorkeling at Poi Pu beach, and I remember it to this day. The Redwoods rocked. As did the scorching heat in Arizona. From a tram ride to the top of a mountain in New Mexico, to deep in the Rockies of Colorado, I have seen montanas. From Salt Lake City on a Sunday, to a Saturday at the Minneapolis Aiport, to the beauty and the plains of Montana, from almost dying in Fargo ND, to almost dying somewhere near Eugene OR (Derek knows), to the semi truck that came 3 feet in my lane in the mountains of Northern California, I have seen the road. I have a lot of respect for it. OK, KS, all but a summer vacation. I do remember partying on the boardwalk in San Antonio. I remember it raining on spring break in Clearwater FL. I remember the panhandlers in Atlanta Georgia hit me up for $15, $20. I had to take a piss in the worst part of town in E St. Louis. I've seen the courts of Philadelphia. I ate their phillie steak sandwiches. Ive eaten all over. I ate at a revolving restaurant over looking the Ohio River. And I was at Churchill Downs. I gazed right at the Battle of Gettysburg, and had 6 hours at the mall of Washington DC one time. Not enough. I stepped foot in NJ. Didn't get off the freeway to go into Maryland, although I hope to one day. I've won some money on the Ohio River in Evansville Indiana. And I scored 129 drunk off my ass at the Cougar Lanes in Omaha, first game in like 10 years. I've met some great people. Ive seen some terrain. I have learned history and know a great deal about native history from reading it along the way. I have travelled much of the Lewish and Clark trail. Not all. I have had the privilege of trying out microbreweries and golf courses, and have done some incredible hikes. I have seen mother nature at her best. And I have seen mother nature at her worst. Ive seen things that open up my eyes. I have seen things that have made me cry. I have seen bad things and I have seen good things. And I've helped out a few dogs along the way. I have 13 more states to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment